Monday, February 4, 2008

Come and Go

Well, another weekend has come and gone and all the while so is a life. Last Thursday my mother called me to report that her oldest sister was being rushed to the ER due to problems swallowing, even her own saliva.

After some test were done and completed, nothing was found. A little history, my 77 year aunt has had Parkinson's for the past 18 years. 18 YEARS!! Her Doctor says that he has never witnessed anyone last that long with it. Well, parkinson's has started to affect my aunt in her brain where now it has told it not to swallow. My aunt is fully alert and knows what's going on.

Without a feeding tube, which my aunt has been told is not an option, she will basically die of hunger. The doctor has mentioned that the feeding tube is not a solution since it will not correct anything but only prolong her suffering.

As of today she is doing good and there is absolutely nothing wrong with her other than her parkinsons. The doctor says that she is a very stong woman and that is why she has lasted so long with parkinsons. However, once they remove her I-V there is no telling how long she will last. It could be a day, a week, a month.

My aunt looks so tired and ready. She was talking with her deceased husband and she told him "I'm ready when you're ready to come and get me."

I will miss my aunt but I know that she will no longer suffer the affects from parkinsons and she will be reunited with her mother and father.

Ramona Rios Gonzales - Noted in the Congressional Book as "One of the most Notable Women of Texas"

No comments: